Monday, October 09, 2006

I rarely fart and I never spit

What would you do if, as you're sitting in your car, waiting to walk your four year old into preschool, you saw an black woman coming out of the school wearing pajamas and house slippers? As if that wasn't bad enough, suppose you saw her turn her head toward the school lawn and spit-about 3 feet in front of her?

Ugh. This was the lovely site I saw this morning. She is the mom of one of the kids in my son's preschool class. Niiiice. I can't even imagine what it feels like to be in the mindframe where I would think this was okay. It's like some or US* are stuck in this little hole without realizing how to be progressive. Some of US* aren't quite getting it. I'm glad I know better. So, so glad.

Don't get me wrong, this is tacky and trashy no matter who you are. But being black especially, I feel we have to present our best front to the world. We've had enough negativity in the past and the present without doing this.


*Black people, African Americans

No comments: